"Health is the First of All Liberties" - Henri Frederic Amiel
No doubt we are all frustrated by the constant barrage of news alerts and updates threatening to repeal, replace, revoke or rebuke some issue we hold near and dear to us. What may not be immediately apparent is how many of the proposed changes by this administration impact our health. Some are very apparent, like repealing the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and defunding Planned Parenthood, but others may be less so, like climate change denial and slashing funding for education.
The World Health Organization defines health as "a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity," and "the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health is one of the fundamental rights of every human being without distinction of race, religion, political belief, economic or social condition."
Health is created in the conditions in which we are born, live, work, play, worship, and age. When those conditions are non-optimal and disparities exist, our health suffers.
Ways to Take Action
Last week was National Public Health Week, one component of which was for public health professionals to come together to advocate for healthy and fair policies. So many of the conditions that contribute to our health and well-being are under threat by this administration. Here are some ways to stay up-to-date and take action:
National Association of City and County Health Officials (NACCHO)
- Oppose Proposed Cuts to the Public Health Emergency Preparedness Program (PHEP)
- Email your Members of Congress to Support Funding for PPHF
- Support Funding for the CDC's 317 Immunization Program
- Support Funding for Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention
American Public Health Association (APHA)
- Sign the petition urging President Tr*mp and Congressional leaders to protect the gains made under the Affordable Care Act.
- Participate in APHA's legislative action alerts and urge policy makers to vote for and act on behalf of public health.
- Find out if your members of Congress are hosting a town hall or other constituent meetings in your community or state
Tell me something good... 🙏🏽
Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai has been made the youngest ever UN Messenger of Peace!